[Ads-l] Straphanger (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Thu Apr 14 17:11:26 UTC 2016

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

The article appears to be a reprint from the NY Tribune.

> The use of the word "car" leads me to think the quote refers to a train, not a "subway or bus".
> Perhaps the OED definition needs to be widened?
>
> Also, this is a 'literal' use -- referring to standing passengers hanging onto straps -- and not a general use for all passengers, standing or
> otherwise. I wonder when some (the standees, who should be standers?? -- we don't call those sitting sittees, do we?) became
> representative of all.

I noted it as "literal" because I intended to also supply figurative cites (straphanger - one who attaches himself, perhaps undeservedly, to an activity or project), but wasn't able to find any appropriate quotes to support them.

I did see numerous instances in which "straphangers" referred to subway/bus/mass transit passengers in general, but didn't do anything to document them.