[Ads-l] [Non-DoD Source] Re: A regional term for the crane fly (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jeff Prucher 000000b93183dc86-dmarc-request at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Thu Apr 14 17:29:54 UTC 2016

My seven-year-old will often call out after he's supposed to be asleep that there's a daddy-longlegs in his room, which is invariably a crane fly (I have never had a name for them -- I just call them big mosquito-looking things), and I'll say "that's not a daddy longlegs, that's just one of those big, mosquito-looking things". But now I don't know whether he's simply confusing one long-leggity beastie with another, or whether "daddy-longlegs" is actually the name for them in his dialect. (He's a native Bay Area speaker, whereas I'm more a North Midlands kind of guy.)

Of course, we don't even have what I consider to be actual daddy-longlegs in the Bay Area, which, like Bill, is what I call harvestmen. We only seem to have pholcids (the long-legged cellar spider on Snopes), which it turns out are also daddy-longlegs.

Jeff Prucher