[Ads-l] Straphanger (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mullins, Bill CIV (US) william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL
Thu Apr 14 17:34:13 UTC 2016

CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED

Here is the article:
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn82014635/1892-09-07/ed-1/seq-8/

It refers, specifically, to elevated trains.  From my reading it has the same sense as is normally understood -- a standing passenger holding to a strap to keep from falling while the train jerks around.  I could be wrong.

When I said "subway or bus" I wasn't trying to be exclusive of other forms of mass transit, and I wasn't quoting the OED.