[Ads-l] cliffhanger (UNCLASSIFIED)

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Sat Apr 16 00:40:28 UTC 2016

IIRC, the wrapper structure shows up clearly in the microfilm.

Joel

      From: ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Friday, April 15, 2016 12:12 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] cliffhanger (UNCLASSIFIED)

Great work, Bill! The 1919 cite is excellent.

Following your lead and searching thru Lantern, I found a possible
explanation for the November 15, 1930 Variety date (which was a
Saturday). A wrapper was regularly placed around the Weekly edition of
Variety, and the wrapper was generated on Saturdays.

Some of the content from Nov 15. was also summarized and placed in the
Nov 19 issue. I downloaded page 4 of the November 19, 1930 issue of
Variety that was accessible through Lantern and found the following
column titled "Hollywood Bulletins" that contained a pertinent
description in its first paragraph:

http://lantern.mediahist.org/catalog/variety100-1930-11_0155

[Begin excerpt]
Briefly rewritten extracts from "Variety's" Hollywood Bulletin,
printed each Saturday in Hollywood, and placed as a wrapper upon the
regular weekly "Variety".
[End excerpt]

The Nov. 15 item containing the phrase "when cliff hanging was an art"
was probably about Grace Cunard based on the raw match data. The Nov
19 issue does have a "rewritten extract" mentioning Grace Cunard, but
it does not use the key phrase.

[Begin excerpt]
Grace Cunard queen of serials long ago, is back in 'em, doing a mother
part in U's "Heroes of the Flame."
[End excerpt]

For completeness: Below is the raw match information supplied by the
ProQuest Variety database for the Nov. 5 match.

[Begin excerpt]
and business men have asked the municipal jurists for it and that body
will vote on the mat ter this week. Queen of Serials Does Comeback,
But as Mother Grace Cunard. known as the queen of serials when cliff
hanging was an art, is in em again. She's playing
Published Date: November 15th, 1930
[End excerpt]

Garson