[Ads-l] _broker than the Ten Commandments_

Sat Apr 16 00:43:58 UTC 2016

Date: September 5, 1937
Newspaper: Valley Morning Star
Newspaper Location: Harlingen, Texas
Article: Our Valley Vintage
Author: P. E. Montgomery
Quote Page 16, Column 1
Database: Newspapers.com

[Begin excerpt]
Money was that easy in the City of Palms at that time. The broom corn
man lives in McAllen today, broker than the ten commandments, while
the car man moved of California and we understand grew rich-dealing in
fast selling Los Angeles city property.
[End excerpt]

A dictionary of American regionalisms asserted that the expression was
common in the 1930s. Oddly, the illustrative citation was from 1996.

Year: 2000
Book: The Facts on File Dictionary of American Regionalisms
Author: Robert Hendrickson
Publisher: Facts on File, New York
Page 606

[Begin excerpt]
broker than the Ten Commandments A phrase common in the 1930s.
"'Listen, bud, I'm flat broke. I'm broker'n the Ten Commandments.'"
(Henry Roth, From Bondage, 1996)
[End excerpt]