[Ads-l] from the Times again

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Apr 17 16:30:34 UTC 2016

Actually, the piece this letter, like the others at the link I included, was responding to--
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/magazine/whos-they.html
--was not about the now widely (but not universally) employed use of "they", "their", etc. with indefinite antecedents as in the contexts you cite, but with the newly promoted use of "they" as a preferred pronoun for trans and other non-binary-identified people (including one of my current students, about whom I received a message from a college dean advising me that they preferred to be referenced as "they").  It was this "they" that we (ADS) voted WOTY last January.  But in this context, "they" really does refer to a specific singular individual, and is not a term of address (like "you" or "y'all").  As you point out, "y'all" works in indefinite contexts ("If you/y'all really like") but it doesn't work as a substitute for "they/their":

"My non-binary-identified student told me they need an extension on their paper" ≠
"My non-binary-identified student told me y'all need an extension on y'all's paper"

LH