[Ads-l] that:who::whom:which?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Apr 18 18:37:11 UTC 2016

> On Apr 18, 2016, at 12:32 PM, Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
>
> Larry, I think you answered a question I didn't ask.  I am interested in the "whom" of "its parent to whom it is genetically identical".  Shouldn't the "whom" be "which", to parallel the earlier "that"?  (And one can't use "that" in "to that it is genetically identical".)

Good point.  But for me, "which" isn't parallel to "that", in that the former is <-animate> just as "who(m)" is <+animate>, so whatever decision is made when you "pied-pipe" the preposition (Ross's term for prepositions that accompany a fronted wh- word) involves marking ("to whom" or "to which") what in the non-fronted case is unmarked ("An animal or (theoretically) a person that is..."), or leaving it unmarked and producing ungrammaticality, as you note ("to that").  No good solution here, which we might be tempted to invoke as an argument against cloning except for the fact that it would extend to cute little Fido and Tabby.  Maybe it's just an argument against pied-piping, since recourse could always be had to "that it is genetically identical to".

LH