[Ads-l] Trump's amazing synapses

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Apr 20 13:31:54 UTC 2016

> On Apr 19, 2016, at 10:55 PM, ADSGarson O'Toole <adsgarsonotoole at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
> Laurence Horn wrote:
>> Chris Matthews on MSNBC just commented on Trump's ability
>> to "think on his feet and to come out with these amazing
>> synapses".  At least that's what it sounded like to me.  To
>> the closed captioning service, it sounded like Trump's ability
>> to "come out with these amazing sin nap seese". Not in the
>> OED, to say the least.
>
> If Matthews was crediting Trump with crafting punchy, brief summaries
> of political topics then he might have said: synopses.

He wasn't, though.  If anything, he seemed to be alluding to Trump's (purportedly) amazing ability to make connections, i.e. he's not as stupid as he seems.  No summaries were invoked, and synapses are sort of vaguely involved.  I did like the subtitle, though--the program must have figured that "sin" and "nap" were more likely referents for Trump than anything to do with synapses or synopses.

LH