[Ads-l] Dorchester

Paul A Johnston, Jr paul.johnston at WMICH.EDU
Wed Apr 20 20:04:16 UTC 2016

The English town in Dorset doesn't drop the syllable either.  Cirencester in Gloucestershire used to throw me, because I was expecting [sIs at st@] or even [sIst@], which are both older pronunciations, but was assured it was [saIr at nsEst@], just what it looks like, nowadays.  And does Shrewsbury, MA have [u:] or [oU]?  I'd guess [u:] alone.