[Ads-l] Dorchester

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Fri Apr 22 13:35:46 UTC 2016

Well, I don't wander the streets much, and do receive my pronunciation mostly from homogenized or foreign journalists.  (I've heard some beauts of mispronunciation from some whom I assume to be recent arrivals.)

And as I said, I may be unable to hear the absence of r's.  Or be in denial of a-rhoticity.  (There must be some reason why "rhoticity" contains "city".)
Joel
      From: Amy West <medievalist at W-STS.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Friday, April 22, 2016 9:18 AM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] Dorchester

On 4/22/16 12:00 AM, ADS-L automatic digest system wrote:
> Date:    Fri, 22 Apr 2016 01:53:30 +0000
> From:    Joel Berson<berson at ATT.NET>
> Subject: Re: Dorchester
>

> P.S.  Amy, of Worcester, hears "Well, it's not/wooster/, it's WUH-stuh. And I think I hear DUH-chester
> among the non-rhotic."  But that's in the sticks?  I, not from Massachusetts, rhotic, and hearing the cultured (not cultchah'd) broadcast announcers of the metropolis, hear wooster and door-chester.  But perhaps, having grown up in New York City, I can't hear non-r's.
>

> Joel
Ya know, as with my second-hand reporting of the MD Worcester pron, the
problem may be that we may be getting the names on TV and radio filtered
through semi-standardized/reduced native pron/accent training/trained
journalists, or, again from feren journalists who ain't from around here
and are approximating the native prons.

However, you're more likely to be hearing the pron in situ than I am.

I dunno. I'm not a phonologist. <shrug> <arm flailing>

---Amy West