[Ads-l] "done VERB-ed" < "_have_ done VERB-ed"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 30 02:45:01 UTC 2016

For some time. I've been intending to comment on my memory - or, perhaps,
merely my tuition - that strings like, e.g.:

"I done told you"

are derived from strings like

"_I've_ done told you" < "I _have_ done told you"

Unfortunately, there's no need to argue this point, for GoogleB is
asshole-deep in evidence that such is the case, rendering such an
exposition otiose.

My Torn Heart
https://books.google.com/books?isbn=1426976690
Carla Lamb Marshall - 2011 - ‎Preview
“Book, I _have done told_ you that you lost the privilege to call me Brit
when you tried to hurt my family. You are not allowed to call me that ever
again. You will either call me Mrs. Water or Mrs. Niklas Water.”

A Grammar of the English Language: With Exercises in ... - Page 235
https://books.google.com/books?id=b64AAAAAYAAJ
Edward Archibald Allen, ‎William John Hawkins - 1905 - ‎Read
"The past participle of tell is not done told, as ' I _have done told_
him,' and one done is enough in ' I have done it.' "

Perhaps of interest is only this.

Some Peculiarities of Speech in Mississippi - Page 27
https://books.google.com/books?id=wKAVAAAAYAAJ
Hubert Anthony Shands [Georgetown, Texas] - 1893 - ‎Read
*Done *... This word is very often interposed between the auxiliary _have_
and the past participle, to give additional completeness to the sense; as,
"I have done lost," which seems to mean more than "I have lost." This
distinction is not always observed; _done lost_ is very frequently used
when we should expect simple _lost_, and _vice versa_. Bartlett['s
"Dictionary of Americanisms"] says that this use of _done_ is a very common
vulgarism throughout the South.
--
-Wilson
-----