[Ads-l] Central site for antedatings WAS Re: Antedating of "Simoleon"

Shapiro, Fred fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 10 18:28:36 UTC 2016

The ultimate place to check for antedatings, I think, is the OED, by which I mean not just the published dictionary but also emailing the staff to ask what is in their unpublished files.  I believe that the OED staff checks the ADS-L listserv for antedatings (George Thompson, I think, may be sending them information from the list).

In terms of public websites, the ADS-L archives are the best source for antedatings. Other than the material that the OED staff itself finds, ADS-L is far and away the most prolific source of antedatings nowadays.

barrypopik.com is worth checking for Americanisms and food terms and some other categories of vocabulary.  I don't know whether the OED staff checks barrypopik.com or not.  (Nowadays Barry seems to focus on quotations and jokes much more than on lexical items, but there is very rich information on antedatings of words and phrases in his older material.)

I contribute almost all my antedatings to the OED.  Nowadays I post almost all my antedatings on ADS-L, but thousands of my older antedatings are not in ADS-L.  So emailing me is an option, although I don't have great access to my own older antedatings and I myself find it easier to email the OED to ask about my own older antedatings.

Other than Barry and the ADS-Lers, most people who make antedating discoveries send their findings to the OED.  The antedaters (besides Barry) who don't send their findings to the OED and don't post on ADS-L are the elusive ones, but they don't produce a large amount of antedatings.  A new website probably wouldn't attract their contributions very much.

For modern terms, I find it easier to search ProQuest, Newspapers.com, Readex, Google Books, etc. myself than to check the ADS-L archives and barrypopik.com and email the OED staff (I also have some access to internal unpublished OED databases, but I generally don't check things there).

The question about giving away hard-won research is an interesting one.  Because I send almost all my discoveries to the OED and ADS-L, I sometimes get in the situation where I want to write an article about a discovery but realize that I have pre-empted myself and the discovery is already publicly available or available for those with access to the OED.

Fred Shapiro