[Ads-l] Sectional Patriotism

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Wed Aug 10 21:12:14 UTC 2016

Hadn't come across "sectional patriotism" before, but evidently it's a
thing. (The term; I was aware of the phenomenon.)

I first encountered it on this rather strikingly worded historical marker on
US Route 59 South in East Texas. Except for the "the" at the end, there are
no articles:

"CASS COUNTY
"Formed from Bowie County land. Created April 25, 1846. Organized July 13,
1846.
"Named in honor of Gen. Lewis Cass (1782-1866), United States soldier and
statesman, a strong advocate of annexation of Texas.
"Important river port city of Jefferson was county seat until Marion County
was carved out of Cass in 1860. Linden, near center of county, then became
county seat.
"During wave of sectional patriotism in 1861, the name 'Cass' was changed to
'Davis' in honor of Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederate States.
The original name was restored in 1871.
"Erected by the state of Texas--1971"

--Dave Wilton