[Ads-l] notorious = 'well regarded or recognized'

Jim Parish jparish at SIUE.EDU
Sun Aug 14 19:56:18 UTC 2016

Wilson Gray wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Jim Parish <jparish at siue.edu> wrote:
>
>> derived
>
> As a pun, presumably, since B.I.G. was claiming to be "notorious" for being
> a bad motherfucker and not merely claiming to be well-known in the field of
> rap.

A pun, yes, but not merely one; those who use the phrase present her (in
photoshopped posters and such) as a genuine badass. For example, after a
prominent preacher asserted that "no man can make marriage be anything
other than a man and a woman", a poster was made with Ginsberg's head
photoshopped onto Eowyn's body, at the Pelennor Fields: "I am no man!"

Jim Parish