[Ads-l] Olympics-related WOTY?

Mon Aug 15 18:43:34 UTC 2016

The Grammarphobia notes that goat has been used negatively in sports
"as a derisive term for a player responsible for a team’s loss".
Grammarphobia provides an excellent citation via The Dickson Baseball
Dictionary (3rd ed.), by Paul Dickson. The citation is dated October
10, 1909. Here is an instance from a few months earlier:

Date: April 24, 1909
Newspaper: Denver Post
Newspaper Location: Denver, Colorado
Quote Page 7, Column 4
Database:GenealogyBank

[Begin excerpt]
It was all a question of luck, which broke the wrong way, as it
sometimes will. The Sox inserted their bad breaks in the wrong places,
and it is with grief we announce the blowing up of Pilot Bill. He was
the goat all right and is in position to cuss himself good and plenty.
If Bill had not included that cloud-rasping throw in the eighth the
champions would not have been able to tie on Doc's wild pitch in the
eleventh.
[End excerpt]

Barry Popik's website has an entry for the positive use of G.O.A.T.
G.O.A.T. (Greatest Of All Time)
http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/new_york_city/entry/goat_greatest_of_all_time

Garson