[Ads-l] Olympics-related WOTY? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Aug 15 22:49:13 UTC 2016

Dan Goncharoff wrote:
> What is this from? The goat of Azazel?

There was a short discussion of the early use of "goat" in the sports
domain in the article that Ben Yagoda linked. Gerald Cohen was
skeptical of the connection to scapegoat.

http://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2016/07/goat.html

[Begin excerpt]
Dickson notes that most explanations for the origin of the baseball
usage describe it as a clipped form of "scapegoat" that refers "to a
player whose error is being blamed for a team's defeat."

However, he points out that one language researcher, Gerald L. Cohen,
challenged this theory in the Dec. 1, 1985, issue of Comments on
Etymology.

"A scapegoat is innocent, whereas the goat is not; he has blundered,
usually at a crucial moment," Cohen writes. "And the standard
etymology of 'goat' as a shortening of 'scapegoat' is therefore almost
certainly in error."

He suggests instead that the usage might have been influenced by a
goat used to haul a peanut wagon in the late 19th century. Perhaps,
but we think the erroneous-shortening hypothesis seems more likely.
[End excerpt]

Garson