[Ads-l] Olympics-related WOTY? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Aug 16 01:26:21 UTC 2016

I agree.  The question of guilt or innocence, or of what degree of guilt/responsibility, is a complex one in the interesting cases.  Take two of the most famous goats, both clearly scapegoats, for their team defeats in recent post-season baseball history:  Bill Buckner of the Red Sox (whose error allowed the winning run to score for the Mets in the sixth game of the 1986 World Series), blamed universally (but especially around Boston) for the team's defeat, when in fact the tying run scored because of Gedman's passed ball (and terrible relief pitching by the Red Sox), without which Buckner's play never would have had a chance to happy), or the Cubs' fan Steve Bartman, whose interference with Cubs outfielder Moises Alou allowed the Marlins' batter another chance, which ultimately resulted in the Cubs losing *their* Game 6, which deprived them a chance to clinch the pennant.  But the goat could have more easily been a professional baseball player, the shortstop who booted an easy double-play ball that would have gotten the Cubs out of the inning without damage. (Cf. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Bartman_incident)

So why were Buckner and Bartman the designated goats rather than the Red Sox catcher Gedman (or the relief pitchers who gave up the lead) or the Cubs' shortstop Gonzalez?  Complicated answer, but that's what happens when scapegoats are chosen.

(There was also "Bonehead" Merkle who failed to touch second base leading to the New York Giants' losing the pennant when he was forced out on an apparent game-winning single--at a time when runners habitually skipped touching second under similar circumstances.  But a goat nonetheless.  Innocent?  Guilty?  You decide.)

LH