[Ads-l] Surely a WOTY candidate

David Barnhart dbarnhart at HIGHLANDS.COM
Sat Aug 20 01:07:05 UTC 2016

burkini, n. {w}  Also written burqini.  a swim suite for Muslim women the
covers the body from ankles to the neck.   Standard (used in contexts
dealing especially with sports; frequency?)

If you do not have a bikini body, or are waiting for yours to arrive-they
can sometimes get held up at the depot-then might I suggest a burkini? This
is my own design which, based on that other design classic, the burka, is
the last word when it comes to beach cover-ups. Deborah Ross, "If you ask
me," The Independent [London] (Nexis), June 17, 2006, p 5

"If a woman goes swimming in a burkini, that could draw a crowd and disrupt
public order," Mr. Lisnard said. "It is precisely to protect these women
that I took this decision. The burkini is the uniform of extremist Islamism,
not of the Muslim religion."

Mr. Lisnard said the measure could also apply to women wearing a traditional
Indian sari, because such a garment could hamper rescue efforts in the
water. Aurelien Breeden, "The 'Burkini' Is Banned on the Beaches of Cannes,"
The New York Times (Nexis), Aug. 13, 2016, p A8

I learnt to swim before I learnt to walk. I wear that very fashionable thing
called a burkini. You know, the one that Nigella Lawson was photographed in
at Bondi (laughs). Megan Miller, "my Saturday," Herald Sun [Australia]
(Nexis), April 4, 2015, p 5

Composite (compound): formed from bur(ka) (eOED: 1836), meaning "," +
(bi)kini (eOED: [1947] 1948), meaning "a very scant bathing suite."  Compare
-kini (DC 16.3: 2000?).

FThe spelling based upon burq(a) (eOED: 1955) appears to be much less common
than the form based upon burk(a).  Other variant spellings of burka have not
been found as variants of burkini.