[Ads-l] irwin Cory 1960 repo convention

Tue Aug 23 19:27:40 UTC 2016

The comedian Professor Irwin Corey introduced into popular culture a
statement about a gun as a tool for efficacious persuasion:

[Begin excerpt]
My philosophy is you can get more with a kind word and a gun than with
just a kind word.
[End excerpt]

He employed the line above by 1953, and by 1969 he was comically
ascribing the saying to the famous gangster Al Capone. Nowadays,
Corey's manufactured ascription is often presented as fact.

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/11/03/kind-gun/

Fred Shapiro noted the connection of the statement to Capone and Corey
in The Yale Book of Quotations. Barry Popik kindly relayed the 1953
citation to me.

Garson