[Ads-l] hirelings and slaves (UNCLASSIFIED)

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Wed Aug 31 23:53:04 UTC 2016

When did the British first start soliciting American slaves to join their military forces with the promise of freedom, 1777?

Joel

      From: Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 6:41 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] hirelings and slaves (UNCLASSIFIED)

For partisan purposes, *all* British soldiers could be called "hirelings,"
because they fought for pay, not patriotism (as was said by the Germans as
late as 1914; cf. Houseman's ironically titled "Epitaph on an Army of
Mercenaries.")

>I don't think that "slaves" in instances of "hirelings and slaves" from
the 1770s has the same meaning as uses in 1814 (by Key) and during the 19th
century generally.

Why not? Contemptible mercenary opportunists and gutless lackeys are
timeless.

Were escaped slaves likely to be part of a "Band" that "so vauntingly
swore" that war would wipe the United States from the map?

>From the perspective of argumentation,  and it makes no sense to me that
Key would suddenly shift his focus from treating the war in general and
typically elevated terms to zeroing in on the fate of a relative handful of
escaped slaves in British service. Whose deaths he then takes an
opportunity to gloat over, particularly since, though he owned slaves
himself, he represented in court (pro bono) several slaves seeking their
freedom; he eventually manumitted his own slaves.

Not the sort of person, one would think, who'd "advocate the killing of
slaves" in a patriotic poem. (Though I assume no one here subscribes to the
hot-topic "advocacy" theory.)

Besides the "Corps of Colonial Marines" (supposedly alluded to) was tiny,
stationed in the Caribbean, and (so far as I can tell) never saw combat
against the United States in the War of 1812.

So, no reference to a "grave" for them seems likely - or even plausible.

JL