[Ads-l] RES: RES: planers, sawyers and snags

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Tue Dec 6 20:59:41 UTC 2016

Yep, looks like Ben was nail-on-the-head with planters.
DAD

Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Dan Goncharoff <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: RES: planers, sawyers and snags
---

There are many hits for "planters, sawyers and snags",

Here's one from 1839 in the context of the Mississippi:

https://books.google.com/books?id=3Dw8oBAAAAYAAJ&lpg=3DPA187&ots=3Dpj0qqMD9=
4U&dq=3D%22planters%2C%20sawyers%20and%20snags%22&pg=3DPA187#v=3Donepage&q=
=3D%22planters,%20sawyers%20and%20snags%22&f=3Dfalse

Henry Clay used the phrase in the context of the Mississippi in 1825:

https://books.google.com/books?id=3D3bceBgAAQBAJ&lpg=3DPA716&dq=3D%22plante=
rs%2C%20sawyers%20and%20snags%22&pg=3DPA716#v=3Donepage&q=3D%22planters,%20=
sawyers%20and%20snags%22&f=3Dfalse