[Ads-l] RES: planers, sawyers and snags

David Daniel dad at COARSECOURSES.COM
Wed Dec 7 15:38:19 UTC 2016

Here's a link to the original act (search "planters"). Sure enough,
"planters, sawyers and snags."
https://www.loc.gov/law/help/statutes-at-large/18th-congress/c18.pdf
DAD

Enviada em: terça-feira, 6 de dezembro de 2016 14:32
Para: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Assunto: Re: planers, sawyers and snags

Poster:       Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: planers, sawyers and snags
---

Suspect it should be "planters." OED def 9 for "planter" is: "U.S. regional
(chiefly Mississippi Valley and Ohio Valley). A snag formed by a tree trunk
embedded in a more or less erect position in a river." Was a typo enshrined
somewhere along the way?

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 10:24 AM, David Daniel <dad at coarsecourses.com> wrote:

> An 1824 Act of Congress included in the Army Corps of Engineers'
> responsibilities "to remove sand bars on the Ohio and planers,
> sawyers, and snags on the Mississippi" rivers. I can't find "planers"
> in this sense anywhere. Perhaps someone out there with OED access?
> Thanks,
> DAD

---
Este email foi escaneado pelo Avast antivírus.