[Ads-l] to come Yankee over

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 8 15:50:16 UTC 2016

To bamboozle. Not in OED.

1779 Ethan Allen _Narrative of the Captivity of Co. Ethan Allen_ (Boston:
Draper & Folsom) 14: The officer...added, "Do you think we are fools in
England, and would send your letter to Congress with instructions to
retaliate on our own people? I have sent your letter to Lord North." This
gave me inward satisfaction, though I carefully concealed it with a
pretended resentment, for found I had come Yankee over him, and that the
letter had gone to the identical person I designed it for.

JL