[Ads-l] "[Blank] Quarterback" - Second-guessing

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Thu Dec 8 20:54:09 UTC 2016

Do I detect antiSemitism in the "for aught we know, Semitic", even less acceptable in a cobbled-up language of "international intercourse" than "the odd bits of ... Aryan"?

Joel

      From: Ben Zimmer <bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Thursday, December 8, 2016 2:31 PM
 Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "[Blank] Quarterback" - Second-guessing

It's older than you think -- see this 1895 article about Volapük:

https://books.google.com/books?id=-xbOAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA20
_Chemist and Druggist_, Volume 46, Jan. 5, 1895, p. 20, col. 2
We have often wondered how any person of common sense can imagine that it
is possible to induce the population of the world at large to adopt, for
international intercourse, a sort of mosaic language carefully glued
together from odd bits of all the Aryan (and, for aught we know, Semitic)
tongues by an arm-chair linguist, or that such a piece of joinery can stand
the wear and tear of common usage.

(On Google Books I also see "armchair historian" from 1888 and "armchair
anthropologist" from 1920.)