[Ads-l] "[Blank] Quarterback" - Second-guessing

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 9 17:03:28 UTC 2016

Perhaps so, but check out the use of "shade-tree" in this fascinating
melange of idioms from NAACP executive director Benjamin Hooks (Baltimore
Sun, June 30, 1986):

"In picking its battles carefully and in concentrating on civil rights work
the NAACP has had to withstand the criticism of 'the know-nothings, the
nattering nabobs of negativism, the pseudo-intellectuals, the mental
midgets, the Monday morning quarterbacks, the shade-tree captains who stand
on the sidelines throwing stumbling blocks at those who have waged the
fight,' Mr. Hooks said."

When we talked about "shade-tree" in a thread back in '05, we discussed
extended applications where it was roughly equivalent to "armchair," as in
"shade-tree philosopher."

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2005-June/050869.html