[Ads-l] Grammatical error in the New Yorker

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 10 01:12:06 UTC 2016

I am embarrassed to reveal my lack of knowledge of the grammar of English,
but where is the grammatical error to be found?

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 7:52 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> > On Dec 9, 2016, at 5:56 PM, Jocelyn Limpert <jocelyn.limpert at GMAIL.COM>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm the "alert reader" in the following. Never thought I'd live to see
> this
> > -- of course, I never thought I'd live to see "President Trump"! The sky
> is
> > indeed falling!!
> >
> > Another Sign of the Apocalypse: A Grammatical Error in the New Yorker
> > December 9, 2016
> >
> > An alert reader discovers a grammatical error in “Banned Books and
> > Blockbusters,”
> > <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.newyorker.com_
> magazine_2016_12_12_people-2Dof-2Dthe-2Dbook-2D2&d=CwIFaQ&c=-
> dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsSxPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=Zx-
> 6cAR4sq0ii63K6k5fOJNE9rburWA34xRHqge4ff0&s=OOrvEP6kKyLTBWhiWxHat3bF4Xvgyt
> IcvJkcoXWGjSk&e= > by
> > Louis Menard, in the December 12 *New Yorker:*
>
> And it might also pointed out that the piece was by Louis *Menand*. :-)
>
> LH
> >
> > Completion took three years, and, since Heller was incapable of editing
> > himself—he was a compulsive adder and fixer—Gottlieb was heavily involved
> > in shaping the text. Finally, just as the book was about to go to press,
> it
> > was learned that Leon Uris was scheduled to published a new novel called
> > “Mila 18.” Uris was, in those days, a reliable best-seller, and Heller
> was
> > an unknown. Many brain cells were burned through pondering alternative
> > titles, until, late one night, Gottlieb came up with “Catch-22.” He
> > excitedly called Heller. “It’s funnier than ‘18’!” he exclaimed. Somehow,
> > it is.

> > The American Dialect Society - https://urldefense.proofpoint.
> com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.americandialect.org&d=CwIFaQ&
> c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsSxP
> IWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=Zx-6cAR4sq0ii63K6k5fOJNE9rburWA34xRHqge4ff0&s=
> y4xqoRK6yQ4x2675WNsFO1ilP2hhR4Ig9_RX7ofJ7A4&e=

-Wilson
-----
-Mark Twain