[Ads-l] batshit

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 12 05:42:47 UTC 2016

See also Green's Dictionary of Slang, which dates the noun to 1943 and the
adjective to 1966. (The adverb is folded into the adj. sense.)

_batshit_ n.
also _batcrap_
1. lies, nonsense, rubbish; also as excl. [play on _bullshit_ n. (1)/_crap_
n.1 (4)].
1943 H. MacDiarmid _Lucky Poet_ 100: Batshit ! ' That is exactly what the
judgement of almost every writer of signed reviews in Great Britain amounts
to. Just that !
[...]

_batshit_ adj.
[_batshit_ n. (2) + _bats_ adj.]
insane, crazy, also as adv.; thus _go batshit_ v., to become insane, to act
crazily; _drive batshit_ v., to drive mad.
1966 R. Stone _Hall of Mirrors_ (1987) 202: You’re batshit.
[...]