[Ads-l] Q: "lumping the team ... much chance ..."?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 15 18:49:59 UTC 2016

It’s “lumping” that’s weird here.  The sense, I assume, is essentially

‘’…they [the Giants, because of the imbalance between their strong defense and inconsistent offense] have given observers pause in terms of granting the team tied with [others in having] the fifth-best record in the NFL much chance of doing damage…”

The “give…pause” has the negativity required for “much chance”.  But how “lumping” might mean “granting” I can’t say.  And it’s still pretty clumsy in terms of the syntax.

LH