[Ads-l] Q: "lumping the team ... much chance ..."?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Dec 16 00:50:36 UTC 2016

> On Dec 15, 2016, at 4:13 PM, Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
>
> The only thing I can make of the "lumping" is that the Giants are "tied with [other teams in having]  the fifth-best record in the NFL".  But (1) that has nothing to do with "[not] much chance of doing damage in the postseason”;

Right; he’s trying to do too many things in one sentence.

> and (2) the Giants are not tied with other teams having the fifth-best record in the NFL but are all alone in that respect.

Well, that one is easy.  There are four teams with better records (Dallas and New England at 11-2, Kansas City and Oakland at 10-3); the Giants and one other team, Detroit (who they play on Sunday), are indeed tied for the fifth-best record at 9-4.  So we can lump the Giants with the Lions.  But that doesn’t seem to help.  I guess if we don’t like it, we can lump it.

LH