[Ads-l] unpresidented - 1660

Barretts Mail mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 19 01:45:35 UTC 2016

Good point.

It appears to both be an eggcorn and a variant spelling.

A. Modern examples copied from the GB hits page for “unpresidented”:

1. In talking about President Clinton's testifying before a grand jury, Roger meant to say that the event was unprecedented, but he slipped and clearly began to say unpresidented. Most linguists would call this a simple mistake and say that it was

I wish this page could be seen, but it’s not.

2. “Ha, unpresidented,” Millie says. “We should get this show on the road, kids,” my stepmom says.

3. The decider's term In office has been largely Unpresidented.

4. Thereafter the committee being sensible how unpresidented a practise this was and how nearly it touched the vitals of the royal burrows power and priviledges, adjourned the consideration of the declinator and what was to be done thereupon …

5. This practise is plainly a novelty and altogether unpresidented.

B. Older examples:

1. 1660
Conscientious, Serious Theological and Legal Quæres Propounded to the twice-dissipated, self-created Anti-Parliamentary Westminster …
by William Prynne
http://bit.ly/2hK78Bq <http://bit.ly/2hK78Bq>

Their most injurious, illegal, unpresidented proclaming [sic] of Sir George Booth, Sir Thomas Middleton, with other old and new secluded Members of the long Parliament, and all their adherents, …

2. 1682
The Third Part of No Protestant Plot:: With Observations on the Proceedings upon the Bill of Indictment against the E. of Shaftsbury: …
by Robert Ferguson according to Google
http://bit.ly/2h1d9KN <http://bit.ly/2h1d9KN>

——
But the unpresidented Severity which this Great and Wise Nobleman hathhad measured unto him, may be a Warning to all His Majesties Protestant Subjects, what they are to expect, if this Commissions in Scotland arrive once to be King of Great Britain….
——

3. 1683
Some Reflections upon the Pretended Parallel in the Play Called the Duke of Guile
by Thomas Shadwell according to Google
http://bit.ly/2hgzTlV <http://bit.ly/2hgzTlV>

——
if they would, could have torn those pragmatical, insolent Officers to pieces, yet they bore it with Patienœ, thoan unpresidented Violence
——

Benjamin Barrett
Formerly of Seattle, WA