[Ads-l] Dialect clash: _shlong_

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Dec 21 10:50:52 UTC 2016

On Tue, Dec 20, 2016 at 8:37 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu>
wrote:

> Apparently not a fan of Philip Roth.

The random person of soul has never heard of Phillip Roth or of the
National Lampoon, wherein the word also appears in a series of tales told
by a once-stereotypically-Jewish, New York cabbie in 1972. But, surely, the
word was in use and well-known long before 1969!

GBooks has the following snippet from 1967:

A carnival of modern humor - Page 152
https://books.google.com/books?id=jWseAAAAMAAJ
Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, ‎Scott Meredith - 1967 - ‎Snippet view
"But listen, old buddy. I got to beg off. I'm hung up."
"Well, OK. I know how busy you educational-TV writers are. How's the show
coming?"
"Pretty messy. We're doing mostly _*schlong*_ stuff now and very little
cerebral."
"What the hell is _*schlong*_?"

Unfortunately, the answer to this question is unavailable. And, since our
word is here used adjectivally, the answer is most likely irrelevant, in
any case. But...

Youneverknow.

However, cf. the following:

New American Review - Issue 1 - Page 139
https://books.google.com/books?id=YzhZAAAAYAAJ
Ted Solotaroff - 1967 - ‎Snippet view
Mocked and mangled as his masculinity was, in a world of goyim with golden
hair and silver tongues, between his legs, God bless my father! he was
constructed like a man of consequence, two big, healthy balls such as a
king would be proud of, and a _*shlong*_ [italics original] of magisterial
length and girth.

--
-Wilson
-----