[Ads-l] Someone philosophically asks:

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Dec 22 00:08:00 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 6:51 AM, Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at stanford.edu>
wrote:

> disapproval of BE DONE

I had no idea that it was ever "officially," so to speak, disapproved of
and I've never heard anyone "low-rate" or "rank" the usage. I came to the
conclusion that BE DONE was "wrong" all by myself - or should that be the
formerly-Britspeak "on my own"? - based on my personal experience that BE
DONE was simply not used, except by an - or should that be the
formerly-Britspeak "the"? - occasional member of the great unwashed, until
I found myself in this part of the country and in my current social milieu,
where *everybody* routinely uses _done_ in environments in which I'm
accustomed to hearing only _through_.

In like manner, I have the feeling that splitting an infinitive with _not_,
as in "To _not_ boldly go..." as opposed to "_Not_ to boldly go..." is
something brand-new that I've never heard before. It's not something that
I've been specifically taught not to - or should that be "to not"? - use,
as is the case with "consensus _of opinion_." Well, of course I was taught
not to split an infinitive in general, but nothing was ever said
specifically about not splitting an infinitive with _not_, because no one
ever split an infinitive with _not_, AFAIK.

Of course, now that I live a thousand miles and fifty years from where I
learned to speak English, I find that "to not V" and "not to V" are
probably in about equal use, judging by what I hear on TV. Besides, nobody
sweats the stylistic crap anymore, anyhow. Can what's spoken or what's
written eventually be understood by the hearer or by the reader? Yes? Then,
it's good enough. The days when speech or writing was edited to reflect
"proper English usage" before it was published in the Daily Blade or in
NewsTIME are long gone. It ain't no days like that, no more.

BTW, I'm surprised that you present an argumentum ex auctoritate. MWDEU or
any other authority can never keep up with usage. Besides, it's merely an
opinion, in any case.

--
-Wilson
-----