[Ads-l] _shlong_ and the collective etymological unconscious

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 29 16:17:56 UTC 2016

Bearing in mind the history touched in the Altoona and OED references reprinted below from our earlier thread, consider this passage from a 2016 novel by Carl Hiaasen, _Razor Girl_.  Detective Rogelio Burton is teasing our hero (and his ex-partner, now busted down to roach patrol inspector) Andrew Yancy about the latter’s girlfriend, Miami E.R. physician Rosa Campesino, who has just left for an indefinite period of R&R in Sweden:

   “Who leaves Florida for Sweden in the dead of winter? Somebody who’s dumping a boyfriend, that’s who.”
   “I got a bad feeling, Rog.”
   “When she sends you the first picture, what you want is a selfie.”
   “Suggesting she’s alone”, Yancy said.
   “Right, because if it’s not a selfie, that means somebody else took the photo…Her new ski instructor, for example. Six two, long blond hair and a shlong like a cobra.”
   “I’m glad you find this amusing."

LH