[Ads-l] "A _team_ of UC Davis students _are_..."

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 30 23:39:27 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 12:14 PM, MULLINS, WILLIAM D (Bill) CIV USARMY
RDECOM AMRDEC (US) <william.d.mullins18.civ at mail.mil> wrote:

> On 30 December 2016 at 00:25 Wilson Gray <hwgray at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
>      1) Creeping Britspeak?
>
>      2) Operation of the innovation that the number of the verb is
> controlled by the number of the closest noun preceding the verb -
> "students" -
> and not by the number of the subject - "team"?

I've just heard on reality TV,

"Anybody who *could* be out there _*were*_ out there!"

and there's no plural, thereby occluding the reality of (2). But the
speaker was being interrogated by the cops, so...

Youneverknow.
--
-Wilson
-----