[Ads-l] relish = 'revel'

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Wed Feb 3 16:50:30 UTC 2016

I doubt that people use it regularly. Almost certainly it falls into the category of
what Saussure called "parole" (anything not in the standard language; includes e.g.,  dialectal features, slips of the tongue, speech features peculiar to a single individual). Saussure used the term "langue" to indicate the standard language.
A while back I wrote a monograph on blending in "parole" (most were slips of the tongue):
Syntactic Blending in English Parole. = Forum Anglicum, vol. 15.   Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang. 1987. 178 pp.
The basic idea behind my compilation of all the examples is that syntactic blending in "parole" occurs frequently, and only a few such blends make it into the big time of the standard language ("langue").

If I had Jon's example in 1987, I would have included it.

Gerald Cohen
Jonathan Lighter replied (February 03, 2016 10:28 AM);
The question is whether  people are using it regularly.
The speaker sounded as though she was pretty confident that "relish" was
the right word.
JL