[Ads-l] back to square 1

Thu Feb 4 08:09:33 UTC 2016

Good work, Peter. I started a thread on the ADS list about expressions
such as "back to square one" and "return to square one" back in
November 2009. Here is a link to the first message in a thread of six
messages:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2009-November/094004.html

Stephen Goranson found "back to square 1" in a passage about Hop
Scotch in a 1920 edition of "Games And Dances" by William A. Stecher:

https://archive.org/details/gamesanddances017480mbp

https://archive.org/stream/gamesanddances017480mbp#page/n133/mode/2up/search/%22square+1%22

I mentioned the Google Books Snippet match for the figurative sense
with a GB 1946 date that you also found:

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2009-November/094085.html

Garson