[Ads-l] Zilch

Tue Feb 9 22:05:53 UTC 2016

Excellent citation, Bill. O. O. McIntyre also helped popularize
"Minnie Zilch" with his widely-syndicated column, apparently. Here is
a column in 1927 from O. O. McIntyre stating that the character name
"Joe Zilch" was used as a convention on Broadway.

Date: September 10, 1927
Newspaper: Charleston Gazette
Newspaper Location: Charleston, West Virginia
Column: New York Day by Day
Columnist: O. O. McIntyre (McNaught syndicate)
Quote Page 4, Column 3

[Begin excerpt]
Broadway has two mythical characters--Joe Zilch and Joe Doakes. They
are blamed for many things and accredited with great wonders. Then
there is George Spelvin. the program name used by an actor for one of
two roles he portrays.
[End excerpt]

Michael Quinion's article suggested a link to college slang.

[Begin excerpt]
This name may have come from college slang of the 1920s, in which Joe
Zilsch was the archetypal average student. . .
[End excerpt]

Garson