[Ads-l] A. J. Liebling Quote

Sun Feb 14 21:56:34 UTC 2016

I was planning to write about this quotation on the QI website. Now
Barry Popik has scooped me with a message he sent off-list. A couple
years ago, on a different mailing list I posted a 1969 citation. ( I
still plan to create a QI entry and will acknowledge Barry.)

Here is the 1964 citation Barry Popik located. Congrats, Barry:

[ref] 1964 January 19, The Washington Post, When Dadaists Played
Chess: That Was the Decade That Was; A Rose Was a Rose and the Ilk
Oozed by Waverley Root (The Washington Post Foreign Service), Quote
Page E3, Column 5 and 6, Washington, D.C. (ProQuest)[/ref]

[Begin excerpt]
I think that Joe was simply trying to situate himself, with as much
impartiality as if he were someone else standing aside and looking at
Joe Liebling, and to my mind what he said summed up better than anyone
else has ever done it, just what his merit was. He said:

"I can write faster than anyone who can write better, and I can write
better than anyone who can write faster,"
[End excerpt]

Garson