[Ads-l] "Looking to showcase women who do shit!"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 15 00:20:12 UTC 2016

> On Feb 14, 2016, at 2:47 PM, Benjamin Barrett <mail.barretts at GMAIL.COM> wrote:
>
>> On 14 Feb 2016, at 11:05, Scott <harview at MONTANA.COM> wrote:

>>> Exactly!
>>>

>> Here in Montana I'm more familiar with "Doesn't do shit", meaning
>> someone hasn't done their job. The positive doesn't exist as far as I
>> know.
>>
>> Scott Swanson
>
> How about if you change the intonation pattern? E.g., “She does (a lot of) shit/She gets her shit done.” BB

Actually, contra my previous message, in this context "know shit" can be positive too:  "She knows a lot of shit".  And maybe just de-stressing "shit" can accomplish this:

She knows SHIT.   [= 'she knows nothing', ignoring the literal interpretation on which she's a merdologist]
She KNOWS shit. [= 'she knows stuff']

LH