[Ads-l] Earliest Use of "Live Long and Prosper" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Feb 18 21:19:36 UTC 2016

> On Feb 18, 2016, at 2:15 PM, Mullins, Bill CIV (US) <william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL> wrote:
>
> CLASSIFICATION: UNCLASSIFIED
>

> ----

>> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> Poster:       Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
>> Subject:      Re: Earliest Use of "Live Long and Prosper" (UNCLASSIFIED)
>
>>> On Feb 18, 2016, at 12:19 PM, Mullins, Bill CIV (US) <william.d.mullins18.civ at MAIL.MIL> wrote:
> -----

>>> Also creator of Sturgeon's Law:  "90% of everything is crap".
>>>

>> This is all quite interesting, but I seem to recall a different genesis, via which
>> it was originally a claim by Edmund Wilson, critically assessing the appeal of
>> popular mystery novels in a put-down called "Who Cares Who Killed Roger
>> Ackroyd?", that 90% of mystery writing (or was it mystery and science fiction
>> writing?  that would make more sense in the light of the anecdote) was crud,
>> crap, or some equipollent and more or less colorful term.  It was then
>> Sturgeon's reply that 90% of ALL writing (or of everything? I don't recall
>> how far the generalization went) was crap.
>
>> Can anyone else either con- or disconfirm this version? (Of course
>> "Sturgeon's Law" has the same signification on either story, but I prefer mine.)
>
> This
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.crazyoik.co.uk_workshop_edmund-5Fwilson-5Fon-5Fcrime-5Ffiction.htm&d=AwIFAg&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=wFp3X4Mu39hB2bf13gtz0ZpW1TsSxPIWYiZRsMFFaLQ&m=_zP-leKatI05W3qqx14HI8me3WVFOJOrOWTSUvLFFO8&s=uk2sXonFR_5sUQ3DiF_Dfh_gCbeMkbQCvFW1QiXzstY&e=
>
> seems to include the Wilson essay, and it while it does disdain detective fiction, it
> doesn't have anything about 90% of it being crap.

The Sturgeon version seems itself to come in two flavors, those of "crap" and "crud".  The 1958 version from _Venture_, as quoted in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sturgeon's_law, includes both wordings, and cites a remark of his along the same lines made "about 1951" in a talk at NYU.  (Curiously, there was no wikipedia entry on Sturgeon's Law to consult when I wrote the above in 1999.  Talk about cultural progress!)

LH