[Ads-l] "kick the bucket"

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Feb 19 16:33:02 UTC 2016

I found some early uses on British Newspaper Archive that may perhaps be significant.  The first is supportive of the theory that "kicked the bucket" refers to kicking a bucket away when committing suicide by hanging.  This is a literal use of the term, so it is not clear that it is necessarily the same as the idiom.  The second undercuts this theory, because it asserts that to kick the bucket is to die in one's bed.  The third, and perhaps the most interesting, is an altogether different use of the idiom to mean having made a great mistake.  Perhaps the development here is similar to "went for a burton," which seems to have gone from meaning "screwed up badly" to "died in military action"?

Oxford Journal, Sept. 28, 1788:  "Last Week John Marshfield, a labouring Man, hanged himself in an Out-House in Avon Street.--He had very deliberately just before bought a Piece of Cord, which he put around his Neck, and by standing on a Bucket, fixed it to the Beam--he then kicked the Bucket to a considerable Distance from under him, and was found soon after with his Head almost severed from his Body, owing to the smallness of the Cord.--The Jury having brought in their Verdict, Felo de se, he was buried in the Cross Road leading to Charlcombe."

Chester Chronicle, Feb. 7, 1794:  "Strange misapplication of _Jests_--It is worthy observation, how the most serious, sacred, and important events of life, can be sported with.  To come to an ignominious end, is only "to go off at the drop," or "at the fall of the _leaf_;"--and to die in bed, is "to flip your _wind_," or "to kick the _bucket_.""  (A similar sentiment was expressed in the Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette on Jan. 23, 1794, but the Chester publication is more legible.)

The (London) Courier and Evening Gazette, Feb. 25, 1802, an account of an action for breach of promise of marriage by a man who had made substantial expenditures (buying a house and a business) in anticipation of marrying the defendant.  On the advice of her friends, she had broken off the relationship, but in a later letter to a mutual friend, dated Aug. 18, 1801, she questioned her decision:  "If I can bring him round again I am determined to marry him in spite of my friends.  I trust to your father for the settlements.--But I am afraid I shall have no occasion for his assistance.  As you say, 'I kicked the bucket too violently.'  How could I be such a fool!"  (The plaintiff won the case and received a damages award of 200 pounds, a substantial amount at a time when a poor man might live for a year on 20 pounds.)

John Baker

Sent from my iPad