[Ads-l] "Fog in English Channel: Continent Isolated" (1930, barely)

Bonnie Taylor-Blake b.taylorblake at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 20 12:26:35 UTC 2016

Some time ago we had pushed mentions of this apocryphal headline back
to early 1931 (see links below for two earlier posts on this).  For
what it's worth, here's a sighting from the very last day of 1930.

-- Bonnie

What gives "The Criterion" unusual value is the inclusion of foreign
"chronicles" and reviews of foreign periodicals, represented in the
present number by an Italian chronicle and review of periodicals from
Russia and Germany.  "The Criterion" thus becomes a good antidote to
the attitude which our chief national daily recently expressed so well
in a time of Channel fog with its bold English headline, "The
Continent Isolated."

[From G.E.G.'s short piece on T.S. Eliot's "The Criterion," a literary
and critical review. The Yorkshire Post, 31 December 1930, Page 4,
Column 6.]

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2007-July/072575.html

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/pipermail/ads-l/2010-August/101777.html