[Ads-l] another entry for the "and <<>>in/en" files ("case and point")

Joel Berson berson at ATT.NET
Sun Feb 21 19:37:19 UTC 2016

Doesn't "foot in mouth disease" have a life independent of, and arising separately from, "foot and mouth disease", especially when inadvertent?

And I can visualize a "puss in boots".  Is there a "puss and boots" anywhere?

Joel

      From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
 To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
 Sent: Sunday, February 21, 2016 10:27 AM
 Subject: [ADS-L] another entry for the "and <<>>in/en" files ("case and point")

We've discussed the reanalyses of the kind instantiated under the above heading at the eggcorn database, e.g.

tongue and cheek
hand and glove
commander and chief

front in center
puss in boots
foot in mouth disease [when inadvertent]

[One not listed in ecdb is a favorite of mine, encountered in the wild:  "black and red fish".  And then there's Chip 'n' Dale furniture.]

So anyway, this from a lovely web page* I was linked to today featuring the adoption of a kitty-cat by a lynx in the St. Petersburg Zoo:
http://www.earthporm.com/cat-sneaks-into-zoo/ <http://www.earthporm.com/cat-sneaks-into-zoo/>

"Case and point: take a look at the heartwarming friendship shared between this calico house cat and European lynx."

(*and yes, the site is EarthPorm.com with an m, not as I first thought an example of what Arnold calls "non-subsective X porn" as in "food/real estate porn"; cf. http://arnoldzwicky.org/2012/06/05/x-porn/ <http://arnoldzwicky.org/2012/06/05/x-porn/>)

LH