[Ads-l] another entry for the "and <<>>in/en" files ("case and point")

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 22 01:41:14 UTC 2016

> On Feb 21, 2016, at 8:07 PM, Joel Berson <berson at att.net> wrote:
>
> Larry,
>

> I only wonder whether "foot in mouth disease" is a pure eggcorn.

I was claiming the existence of two different uses (or mental models).  One is an eggcorn or perhaps malapropism--in any case, a reanalysis--along the lines of "tongue and cheek" or "spittin' image" and the other (e.g. a blogger's mocking of a politician or the politician's own self-deprecating use) is an intentional pun.  Whether the naive use is a pure eggcorn depends on whether it's a motivated reanalysis, and I'm reckoning that in some cases it is.

LH