[Ads-l] "Fog in English Channel: Continent Isolated" (1930, barely)

Mon Feb 22 06:34:44 UTC 2016

Excellent citations, Bonnie and John. The citation below is from
today. I am sharing it to indicate that the expression is still
remembered and considered vital.

Date: February 22, 2016
Website: Boston Globe
Article: The struggle for mastery in Europe
Author: Niall Ferguson

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2016/02/22/the-struggle-for-mastery-europe/H41rFl6Exr3BfNilsXnmbO/story.html

[Begin excerpt]
So all Britons have to choose today is the form of that commitment.
They can declare "fog in the Channel -- continent cut off" by voting
for "Brexit" (short for British exit). But the idea that they can
thereby separate themselves from Europe is an illusion. For the future
of Europe without the UK would be one of escalating instability.
[End excerpt]

Garson