[Ads-l] "kitty-bar"

Ben Zimmer bgzimmer at GMAIL.COM
Mon Feb 22 22:17:12 UTC 2016

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/02/22/this-is-the-date-bernie-sanders-berns-out.html
Goldie Taylor, "This Is the Date Bernie Sanders Berns Out"
"Some would argue that a window of opportunity slammed shut Sunday
night in Nevada and that the upcoming race in South Carolina is the
proverbial kitty-bar."

On Twitter, Linda Holmes speculates that this is based on an eggcornic
mishearing of "Katie, bar the door."

https://twitter.com/nprmonkeysee/status/701889787410702337

Makes sense to me, though I can't find much in the way of kitty-bars
online, proverbial or otherwise. FWIW, Goldie Taylor was born in
University City, MO and raised in East St. Louis, IL, before moving to
Atlanta.

--bgz