[Ads-l] 23-Skidoo

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 23 12:12:43 UTC 2016

The heart of the improbable tale is that "23-Skidoo" was actually "forty or
fifty years old" and originated "in circuses" where "there were always 23
acts."  "Skidoo" is a "variation of Skedaddle" (almost certainly true).
After the 23rd act, the boss tentman would tell his workers "Twenty-three!
Skidoo!"

Get it?

If any real corroboration of this story exists, I'd like to see it.

Mencken rehearsed several such etymologies.

JL