[Ads-l] 23-Skidoo

Baker, John JBAKER at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Feb 23 17:18:52 UTC 2016

The Boston Daily Globe ran an article on May 13, 1906, under the headline "Where Did "23" Originate."  Note that this was during 1906, when "23 skidoo" (or "skiddoo") was enormously popular and there were many conjectures as to its origin.  Of course, all of the conjecture was as to "23"; everyone supposed, as we suppose today, that "skidoo" derived from "skedaddle."  As the article states, "It [i.e., "23"] is a companion to "skidoo," and is frequently used in conjunction with that equally expressive word, although when you say "23" you mean "skidoo.""

The article is too long to reproduce, but I will be happy to send a copy offline to anyone who would like to send me an email.  It states that there is agreement that "23" was popularized but not originated by George Cohan in the 1904 musical comedy "Little Johnny Jones" (remembered today for originating the songs "Give My Regards to Broadway" and "The Yankee Doodle Boy," although the article does not mention this).  Among the possible origins of varying degrees of probability that are discussed:

--From a repertory theatre slang phrase, "eighteen and five," because unwanted actors were made to learn 18 parts and would not get paid for five weeks.

--Because only 22 horses could run in a race, and the 23rd horse would be marked off the list.

--Because there would be only 23 turns in a circus, and packing up would begin in the 23rd turn.

--From Genesis 3:23 (miscited as 5:23 in the article):  "Therefore the Lord God sent him (Adam) forth from the garden of Eden to till the ground from whence he was taken."

--From A Tale of Two Cities, in which Sidney Carton is taken to the guillotine on the 23rd cart.

--A New York cabbie reference to a traffic obstruction, from police use of two whistle blasts to mean "go ahead" and three to mean "back up."

--From a telegraph code to order interrupters off the wire.

John Baker