[Ads-l] 23-Skidoo

Peter Reitan pjreitan at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 23 18:40:56 UTC 2016

Most of the earliest examples I could find relate to fast moving boats and cars.

"Skidoo" was the name of a racing sailboat that raced on Long Island Sound as early as 1901.

A. F. Aldridge, The Yachting Record: Summaries of All Races
Sailed on New York Harbor, Long Island Sound and Off Newport in 1901, New
York, Thomson and Company, page 16 (Indian Harbor Yacht Club, Spring Race,
Thursday, May 30, 1901).

"Skidoo," in the sense of "leave quickly," appears as early as 1904 (The Evening World (New York), April 18 1904, page 10).

"Skidoo wagon" (The Evening World, May 11, 1904, Final Results Edition, page 14), "Skidoodle wagon" (The St. Louis Republic, July 25, 1904, page 6, column 6), and "Skedaddle wagon" (Saint Paul Globe, November 27, 1904, page 5, column 6) were slang terms for automobiles in 1904.

I have a collection of citations and examples for "skidoo," "twenty-three," and "twenty-three, skidoo!" in my blog post:

http://esnpc.blogspot.com/2015/02/skedaddle-skidoodle-skidoo-vanishing.html
Barry Popik found "Twenty-three" in March 1899 (The Morning
Herald (Lexington, Kentucky), March 17, 1899, page 4) and "23-skidoo" in the title of a Vaudeville song in April 1906 (New York Clipper, Volume 4, Number 9, April 21, 1906, page 258).  Twenty-three and skidoo had been used in association with each other before April 1906, but not in the now-familiar format.

Surprisingly, perhaps, "twenty-three" may be a reference to the last scene in A Tale of Two Cities.