[Ads-l] QOTY?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Feb 29 18:25:20 UTC 2016

> On Feb 29, 2016, at 12:07 PM, Joel Berson <berson at ATT.NET> wrote:
>
> Lord's statement (a quote) applies to the Reconstruction period, nearly 150 years ago, and apparently not to the KKK but to the White League (see Wikipedia).

Right; there are many variants of that line during the period, when the Democratic party really was (inter alia) racist and the Republicans really were the party of Lincoln.  Autre temps, autre moeurs.  But Jeff Lord, who was hired by CNN to add a sensible conservative voice to the network, really does claiming that *today's* KKK is an arm of the Democrats or, in some of his statements, an leftist organization.  cf. e.g.

http://mediamatters.org/video/2016/02/29/cnns-jeffrey-lord-defends-trumps-refusal-to-dis/208874

The argument seems to be:

1) The KKK (as reflected by David Duke) is an anti-semitic hate group
2) Trump can't be anti-semitic (some of his best relatives are Jewish)
3) So Trump and the KKK are diametrically opposed
4) Trump is a right-thinking conservative
Therefore, the KKK is a leftist hate group.

Mr. Lord or I might be missing a step in the logic here, or if any of the premises are mistaken.  There's something in there about FDR and Social Security but I wasn't able to follow the point.

LH